“Telecom expense management software” does not sound exciting at all. But don’t be deceived by the dull name, sorting out your telecom expenses could save you some serious cash down the line.
In this article, we’ll cover all the basics of telecom expense management (TEM) software: what TEM software, is it is necessary for your company and what to consider when buying a TEM solution.
What is telecom expense management software?
According to Gartner, telecom expense management is a set of processes implemented by a company’s IT and finance departments to manage and optimize enterprise communication services. It comprises of both wired and mobile services, including data and voice usage.
These solutions are designed to manage the telecom expenses efficiently and make it easier for a company to manage complex telecom setups.
How to tell if your business needs a TEM solution
There are five questions to ask yourself to find out if your business is ready to invest in a telecom expense management solution. Understanding your current organisational challenges will help you in making an informed decision.
- Do you feel that the way you have been managing your telecom expenses is not working anymore? Is the process of manually managing these expenses becoming too time-consuming? Are you concerned that these expenses aren’t being recorded properly right now?
- Are you struggling to keep a track of voice, data and internet usage across departments in your organization? Are you facing challenges in monitoring and differentiating voice and data used by employees for their business and personal use?
- Do you have a bulk of invoices that needs to be processed frequently? Do your labour costs and overhead expenses incurred to process these bills actually cost more than the total bill amount?
- Is your company facing challenges in flexibly managing the telecom needs of the mobile workforce such as wireless expenses, procurement of devices, and rate plan negotiations?
- Are you facing difficulty in allocating telecom cost and chargebacks to different departments within your organization?
What to look for when buying TEM software
Choosing from an extensive list of TEM software and selecting the right vendor can be difficult. Consider these factors before making a decision.
- Do you select in-house software or choose a cloud-based solution?
- Will you be able to integrate it with other solutions that you are already using in your company? Can it fetch data from one application to another?
- What mobile capabilities should I look for while buying TEM software?
- Common features of a mobile telecom management app include bill payment, invoice processing, alerts & notifications, usage & expense reporting, and technical support in some form.
- What are the pricing options available?
Deciding on the correct TEM solution for your organisation is not a decision that should be taken without consulting a specialist in the field. If you are looking for advice or would like to discuss your needs, give us a call. We are here to help you.
Author: Ryan Danvers, ABACON IT, 072 601 2858